We asked. You delivered. Surviving Manchester isn’t guaranteed. Unless, you adopt this particular set of skills, that is.
1. Running the marathon distance to Platform 14 at Manchester Piccadilly and somehow still making the train.
Only the most experienced commuter can make it to Platform 14 in time.
2. Walking through Piccadilly Gardens whilst holding my breath
Whether it’s peculiar-smelling clouds of smoke, bird crap or Lord knows what else, you’re gonna wanna stomp your way through Piccadilly Gardens – any seasoned Manc knows that.
3. Spotting which wobbly paving stones to avoid so that water doesn’t get fired up your trouser leg
Nothing worse than catching those wobbly buggers near Gregg’s on Deansgate.
4. Getting onto the tram exactly where the doors open
Finding that sweet spot where the trams stop is the only way to secure a seat on the tram.
5. Dodging unfeasibly small dogs in Ancoats
We’ve all nearly broken an arm tripping over a sausage dog in Ancoats. It’s a serious skill trying to dodge them all.
6. Making it down Market Street alive on a Saturday
True Mancs know how to dodge many a tourist walking at a glacial pace down Market Street. Especially on a weekend.
7. Not looking anyone in the eye while waiting for public transport
If you’re not in the mood, the only way to escape conversation with a friendly Manc is by avoiding eye contact at all cost.
8. Knowing which streets to direct your Uber down to avoid road works
Because getting stuck in traffic on Oldham Road is not what you want when you’re gasping for a beer.
9. Identifying a tourist from a mile away
Even a junior Manc has the skill for this one!
10. Knowing which streets to avoid when the Christmas markets are on
There’s absolutely nothing worse than getting stuck behind tourists when you have 0.3 seconds to get to the tram stop.
11. The art of getting down Deansgate unscathed in five minutes flat
Deansgate: Another victim of slow strollers.
12. Knowing exactly what time to get to Rudy’s before there’s a 45-minute waiting list
Nothing worse than getting to Rudy’s to find your tummy will be rumbling for a solid 45 minutes.
13. Dodging the trams by Primark on Market Street
It’s touch and go every single time.
14. How to stand on the tram without falling over when there’s nothing to hold
Who knew we had so much core strength?